Thursday, May 12, 2011

Kellie's Memento Review

Memento was probably the most confusing movie I have ever seen. I would have not figured out by myself that when the movie was in color, the story was movie backwards and when the movie was in black and white, the story was moving forwards. After I found out what they both meant, I really started to get into this movie. I really enjoyed the plot because it was original and very unpredictable. Usually, I can predict what the ending will be, but this movie had me guessing all the way through. The only thing that really stuck out to me was at the end of the movie when Teddy (Joe Pantoliano) and Leonard (Guy Pearce) were talking in the abandoned house. I felt like Teddy gave us too much explanation about Leonard’s life in a matter of a few minutes. I wish that the director spread out the explanations of what happened in the movie and why Leonard acted the way he did in a different manner. I honestly felt like it was just a quick way to wrap up the movie and have the audience leave satisfied with the fact that they understand Leonard's life and why he acts the way he does. I was also a little frustrated by the way Natalie treated Leonard. I honestly thought Natalie was a good guy but when we reached the scene where she provoked Leonard into beating her up, I was really upset. I thought she was really helping Leonard but then it turns out she was using him. The scenes that had to do with the drug deal was another confusing part for me. I had no idea how Teddy and the drug deal fit into the movie. Was the drug deal helping us explain why Natalie started talking to Leonard in the first place? Was it because Leonard was driving a car the drug dealer used to have?  I wish those questions would have been answered before the movie ended.
My predictions for the movie were way off. I though Natalie was a good guy and I also thought Teddy was the guy who killed his wife. I was so sure that Teddy was the guy until I realized he was a cop who helped Leonard find the real guy. Teddy seemed like a very sketchy man to me. I think the director did that on purpose so you are made to believe it is Teddy who raped and killed his wife. I think the director did an amazing job making you believe Teddy was the guy. I also thought that Leonard would start to remember at the end of the movie. I was hoping that the memory loss was all physiological. The acting was amazing in this movie and I was very convinced of Leonard's illness. I did not feel like he was faking it at all. 
I really liked this movie even though I was very confused at some parts. I thought the plot was original and it was not a predictable movie at all. I thought the directing was incredible because it really made the audience think and also proved their assumptions about characters wrong. I never would have picked this movie if I was walking in a video store, but I am glad I had the chance to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment